


This semester I am teaching my students about the Life and Ministry of Jesus. We just recently discussed the various ways Jesus is perceived and the problems that they present. These pictures represent just three of the things that have confused our understanding of Jesus: Historical Ignorance (this picture is from a "beginner's bible coloring book" and distorts history on so many levels), Nationalism (it is impossible for patriots, both then and now, to reconcile their view of victory with Jesus' true victory by dying peacefully at the hands of his "enemies"), and Gnosticism (I may post something later to explore this more... but for now, I simply want to point out that Jesus is a ghost, which reveals the total lack of care we have taken to fully understand the resurrection).
2 comments:
1. I can't believe that comes from the Christian community. I thought it would be a Sunday morning satirical comic strip.
2. Yeah, nothing about Jesus makes him sound like Mr. Universe the Bodybuilder.
3. Not only is he a spectre, he looks like he's been strung out on cocaine for 20 years. Why is he so skinny?
just wanted to say i enjoyed hanging out last sunday. i can't wait for france! and you should write more i enjoy it.
Post a Comment